Tuesday 1 May 2018

Reflective essay- My journey as a budding poet and as a performer



It’s been four months since I joined this elective and needless to say I experienced the freedom to express my thoughts by carving it through the means of poetry. Even though I had participated in various poetry events, I wasn’t a regular performer and was an amateur. I explored different forms of poetry like ghazals, villanelle, city poetry, political poetry, object poetry, how-to poetry and prose poetry. The journey so far has been a beautiful adventure because of Akhil’s method of interacting and communicating with the students. Through mutual interaction and the use of visuals and sound, I was able to grasp and understand the meaning of the poems. Furthermore, my journey as an aspiring poet and as a learner was difficult too. With forms like Villanelle and ghazal I was unable to construct and craft a sensible poem at first but through mutual interaction and communication with my classmates I was able to understand the form and write a villanelle. As someone who’s trained in Indian classical, Ghazal wasn’t something unfamiliar but the style and form was explored and magnified in this course. I never thought I’d write an English ghazal someday but I believe I crossed those hurdles that prevented my expression. The course helped me express and channel my thoughts and experiences through the medium of poetry. It has been a beautiful journey because of the mutual co-operation by the students and Akhil himself. The space in which I learned the poems turned out to be a space containing a plethora of ideas, emotions and expressions and at the same time I was glad that ideas and expressions weren’t snubbed or mocked. I’ve read war poetry and am familiar with ghazals. However, this course was like the ocean in a drop. Within a span of 4 months I learned new forms of poetry that I had no clue about. These novel forms not only helped me engage with literature and poetry but also understand the background and the space in which it were written. Out of all these poems, by far my favorite is The Art of Losing by Elizabeth Bishop. The manner and style of discussing poems and working on them was very unique as it allowed most of us to engage with the poem with respect to our own experiences. The style of approaching any poem also helped in drawing the meaning and the depth of our experiences that’d further be the core essence of our individual poems. The space became a cathartic and a therapeutic experience for me where I could engage with my thoughts, emotions and connect it to my poems. I was able to draw out the core essence of my poem from my subjective experiences and through this practice I was able to write poems. As an amateur poet I used to ( and even now) write my poems in an unstructured and a fluid manner. I learnt the dynamics of writing poetry such as prosity, syllable count, metre and line breaks that facilitated in structuring my poem.
I enjoyed revisiting some ideas and the poems that I previously read as a student while I was doing my Bachelors in English. The use of visuals- photos, videos- and sounds while teaching a particular form of poem actually enhanced the process of learning the new forms and styles of poetry.

From writing poems to performing them, I have always been skeptical about performing my piece in public but then the opportunity of open mic gave me a platform to express my anxieties, my repressed emotions, my fears, my beautiful memories and my rage all together with the help of my crafted poems. I’m glad I was a part of this course and that I got to learn so much within a short span of time. I’m glad I was able to construct my poems well and work with a collective of creative individuals who respect their fellow poets. But I’m kinda sad also that this journey is ending too soon. However I’m happy that this journey has been a fruitful one in the sense that I met new people, learnt new forms of poetry, explored different ideas in a creative space and expressed my ideas and emotions through poetry. Lastly, I’d like to thank Akhil for encouraging everyone to write poems and being humble to each other. Thank you for this lovely journey. I shall take it forward in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment