Tuesday 27 March 2018

Inertia


Oh how I hate change,
It never inspires me.
And how I love routine,
It never bores me.

I hate getting out of bed in the mornings,
No matter how much needs to be done.
And I love remaining seated on the metro,
Even if the next station is my destination.

I hate getting rid of old hair bands,
Even if the elastics have all rotten.
And I love collecting old perfume bottles,
Even though their scents I’ve forgotten.

I hate deleting apps from my phone,
Even if I haven’t used them in the longest time.
And I love re-reading Agatha Christie novels,
Even though I remember the culprit of every crime.

I hate listening to Lady Gaga’s Joanne,
I know exactly which note will break my heart.
And I love re-watching 10 minute Youtube videos,
Even though I remember the exact jokes that made me laugh.

What is it that I’m clinging onto?
I haven’t even made that many memories.
Neither is the present quite so terrible,
That I need to fantasize about past centuries.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment