Saturday 24 February 2018

Dirty Linens

My mother told me not to wash my dirty linens in public. 

She taught me how to use concealer 
When I got slapped for speaking out of turn
So I could hide my bruises from my peers in school. 

She told me the skin benefits of hot milk 
When it was poured on my head
For reacting to uncouth words with my eyes. 

She taught me how to drive a car
So I was able to find my father
Inebriated and unconscious, on a pavement in Noida at night. 

She pinched me from under the dinner table 
So she could protect me from getting my phone confiscated by brother
when I didn't prepare my lies well.

My mother told me not to argue or be 'political' on Facebook 
because "you can't call a spade a spade
and nobody entertains a woman with a big gab."

My mother told me not to wash my dirty linens in public, 
But I don’t know how to tell my mother 
All my clothes have torn. 





2 comments:

  1. How terrible and true. The specific instances in the first and third stanza, the reality of using a concealer, or mentioning the road in Noida, are the most powerful images in the poem, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Sreoshi. I still need to work on this a lot though. can see so many flaws.

      Delete