Wednesday 24 January 2018

Somewhere

Somewhere between a Thursday and a Monday,
I stopped giggling at your compliments
and started cackling and snorting at your stories.

Somewhere between a winter and a spring,
my heart stopped racing at your touch
and you instead learned how to calm down my nerves.

Somewhere between June and September,
you stopped gazing at my lips with desire
and started deciphering them for inside jokes.

Somewhere between my birthday and our anniversary,
you stopped buying me roses and chocolates
and started buying me pens when I ran out of ink.

Somewhere between an appetizer and a dessert,
we stopped gazing into each other’s eyes
and realized how expensive everything on the menu was.


Somewhere between Eid and Diwali,
We stopped kissing each other's bruises
and started carrying Band-aids for each other.

4 comments:

  1. Haaye! I love the progression of romanticized love into gritty intimacy. I love the small details and how you don't explain anything but let them speak for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Comfortable like an old shoe' isn't a saying that sounds particularly romantic, but your poem brings into focus the closeness implied in being so used to one another. The half humorous tone is the icing on this 'vanilla' confection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem really made me go all 'aww'. You know what they say right? Real love is when you're in it even when the novelty wears off.

    ReplyDelete