Wednesday 31 January 2018

A Love Poem for A Past Lover


My breath splits 

at the tip of your nose,

slips down your cheekbones, 

My gasps vanish

between the gaps in your teeth 

I recount, 

As you push your face into mine, 

And scavenge for magic in my mouth, 

how our lips locked so well yesterday

and today, 

as you wave my tongue

like it was created 

for your consumption,

your appetite bobs off my face

like a ball of oil trying to dive in water. 

I wonder

if it were my lips that changed their shape

or your intentions, 

your frenzies 

or my apprehensions? 

I wonder  

if you realize the lump in your throat 

is a lie I keep choking on, 

and that my lips 

don't belong to you

just because you have touched them 
with your lips before.

3 comments:

  1. Intriguing line spacing; is each line supposed to be a stanza? Asking because the last two seem to form their own couplet/stanza.
    Love the visceral, very physical imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrange this into stanzas. Will be stronger that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Akhil. I remember you giving me all that feedback. I did make the changes that you suggested but would love for you to read them again. I'll email you.

      Delete